As we head into the holiday season, all families begin to deal with the “what do you want for . . .” time of year. I suppose it really doesn’t matter if it is a birthday, Christmas, or some other special occasion, it seems to be more difficult every year to tell family members what to get for the kiddies. Years and years of cleaning toys out of toy chests, drawers, and underneath the couches tell me the ghosts of Christmas past had many a toy that was used once and never again. If you have a child with a 529 plan in the state of Georgia (www.path2college529.com), there is a process where you can encourage others to gift into the plan you set up for your child.
- STEP 1- In the middle of the screen, you will see this paragraph that will begin the process. You can click the eGift button to begin getting the word to friends and family.
NEW! eGift allows you to send invitations to your family and friends to make gift contributions, electronically or by U.S. Post Office. It’s secure, simple and is one of the best ways to celebrate all of the occasions in your beneficiary’s life. Click here to learn more.
- STEP 2- The Path 2 College website will bring up all of your children’s accounts with the current investment choices where the funds are invested. You will actually be able to direct where the gifted funds go and gifts can be made for just one child or for all of them. Below is what you will see on the website.
Select the Investment Option to which you would like to invite your friends and family to contribute below. Keep in mind the following regarding eGifts:
- You maintain full control of your account, including how contributions made by others are invested.
- The minimum contribution amount of $25 applies to all eGifts.
- Gift contributions count toward the Maximum Account Value per beneficiary rules.
- You can view all contributions to your account, including any gift contributions received online. You will also receive a confirmation once a gift contribution has been received.
- STEP 3- You will be able to add the occasion for the gift and then customize the invitation. When you customize the invitation, there will be 10 choices of different holidays.
Click the Add an Occasion button to create a new invitation.
You will then have the opportunity to create and customize the invitation that will be sent to friends and family.
Previously Created Occasions
No invitations have been created for this investment.
eGift Contribution History
No online gift contributions have been received
- STEP 4- You will confirm that you maintain control of the account and then place new contacts in the system who will get the invitation. Then, you will select all recipients and send out invitations.
If family members such as grandparents, brothers, or sisters plan to spend $50 or $100 this holiday season, the minimum Path2College investment is only $25. If you could convince them to get in the habit each and every year, perhaps all of these added funds can be the difference between partially and fully funding a college education. That will sure stretch further than a gift card to Game Stop!
Request a FREE No-Obligation Consultation: www.oxygenfinancial.net
Ted Jenkin is a frequent guest columnist for the Wall Street Journal and Headline News Weekend Express. He is the co-CEO of oXYGen Financial. You can follow him on LinkedIn @ www.linkedin.com/in/theceoadvisor or on Twitter @tedjenkin.
Simply Buckhead is an upscale lifestyle magazine focused on the best and brightest individuals, businesses and events in Buckhead, Brookhaven, Sandy Springs, Dunwoody and Chamblee. With a commitment to journalistic excellence, the magazine serves as the authority on who to know, what to do and where to go in the community, and its surroundings.