5 KEY ELEMENTS FOR A FUN YET PRACTICAL PLAYROOM
BY: Giannina S. Bedford
1. Pint-sized seating: Whether it’s a small table and chairs or a comfy bean bag chair by Atlanta-based Jaxx (above), have a place for little ones to lounge or curl up with their favorite picture book.
2. Activity nooks: Create “centers” for endeavors such as arts and crafts, dress-up, open play or building with blocks or Legos to ensure the tykes never get bored.
3. Padded floor: Cushion the ground with a plush area rug, foam tiles or mix-and-match carpet tiles by Atlanta-based Flor (below) to create a safe and engaging landing spot for the youngsters to romp around on.
4. Decorative display: Dedicate a wall to silly family photos (maybe holiday-card outtakes) and kid-created masterpieces.
5. Easy storage: Stock up on lightweight baskets and bins for toys, books and art supplies so even your children can clean up in a flash.
Giannina S. Bedford is multi-faceted writer and editor. Her work covers design, travel, food and business. She’s penned Simply Buckhead’s home feature since inception and held a variety of editorial roles at the magazine. Her freelance work has appeared in Condé Nast Traveler, USA Today, Virtuoso Life, Hemispheres and TravelandLeisure.com. She also contributes regularly Atlanta Business Chronicle. Fluent in Spanish, Giannina was born in Miami and grew up in Brazil, Chile, Hawaii and Australia. She currently lives in Dunwoody with her two kids and husband.